- Refined Total Annihilation mod: BA's lineage traces back to Total Annihilation and the mods that refined its classic graphics and gameplay across decades.
- Competitive Gameplay: BA has matured through years of playtesting by veteran players in both casual and tournament settings. Faction and unit choices offer many unique tactical possibilities.
- Stable Balance: BA is conservatively balanced to favour strategic play. Every unit has a role and few units get truly obsolete as the game progresses.
Balanced Annihilation runs competitive 1v1 tournaments that attract many dedicated players. At 42 players the 2021 Crown Cup 2 tournament was the largest tournament in Spring's 16 year history. Players battle for the BA crown, a unique in-game item for the commander that can only be aquired by winning the event. The current holder Cartouche is undefeated.
- Crown Cup 1 https://challonge.com/CROWN_CUP 1st Cartouche, 2nd PRO_rANDY, 3rd Teddy
- Crown Cup 2 https://challonge.com/CROWN_CUP_2 1st Cartouche, 2nd Teddy, 3rd PtaQ
- Crown Cup 3, Upcoming Event 12th March 2022 https://challonge.com/CROWN_CUP_3
Balanced Annihilation's history traces back to the mod Absolute Annihilation by Caydr (2002-2006). AA was based on ÜberHack by Brave Sir Robin (1998-2002). The Swedish Yankspankers work on the TA Demo Recorder (1999-2004) made it possible for AA to be ported to 3D and these efforts led to the creation of Balanced Annihilation in 2006 using the Spring engine. Zero-K and BAR were both forked from Balanced Annihilation in the past.